The Institute of Oceanography at Universität Hamburg offers a master degree (MSc) in Physical Oceanography.
The research oriented 4 semester course is directed to students with a B.Sc. degree in Physical Oceanography, Meteorology, Geophysics, Physics or an equivalent subject and provides profound knowledge on the physics of the ocean and its role in the climate system. Students will be educated and prepared for their future research in physical Oceanography or other climate sciences. Furthermore, students are trained to autonomously implement and broaden scientific findings, methods and skills.
The MSc-master degree course Physical Oceanography (pdf, German only) is divided into two terms of one year each which comprise a technical deepening phase and a research phase. During the technical deepening phase, oceanographic expertise in theoretical and regional Oceanography will be developed, methods and skills are trained in practical lab courses and exercises. The research phase is meant to deepen the scientific work and to provide ground for the following master thesis. The work load amounts up to an average of 30 credit points per term (about 20 contact hours of courses).
In the Master survey you can get an overview regarding the individual modules of the master degree course; in the description (pdf, German only) you receive information about the contents related to it. You can also check out the subject-specific regulations (pdf, German only). The Universität Hamburg offers additional information regarding the Master of Physical Oceanography (German only).
Application procedure and necessary documents:
- Fill in the Online-Form of the regestration office of the Universität Hamburg.
- Send in the following papers to Prof. Dr. Carsten Eden, Institut für Meereskunde, Universität Hamburg, Bundesstr. 53, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany.
- Online form duly filled out and printed out.
- Copy of your first University degree certificate (e. g. BSc) or alternatively an attestation confirming the forthcoming degree as well as the performances delivered so far (Transcripts of Records incl. rating scores).
- Copy of your University entrance qualification (e. g. A-levels)
- Letter of Application indicating the reasons for your study request, especially as regards your interest in the subject as well as in a scientific further training. Furthermore, a short Curriculum Vitae including professional experience or internships (if any) which are relevant for the MSc-course as well as a statement regarding your English language skills.